Saturday, May 16, 2009

If you HAVE to work...

...at least the commute shouldn't be too onerous!

I usually take a 737 to my workplace. So whenever I can I fly the 50 miles from home to the International airport to catch the jet to work. It isn't really any quicker than driving, and certainly not any less expensive, but it keeps me centered (God, I can't believe I just wrote THAT...lol). How about - it makes going to work a lot more palatable and gives me some nice decompression time on the way home?


I think this is cool, shows the taxi on the road (Lakeshore Dr) from Hood strip to my parking spot. It's not much shorter to land at Int'l because I have to taxi all around... and some of it is behind cargo 747's which gives me the willies. Gas is easier to get at the Strip and I usually see someone I know there, too.


My good Anch parking spot... a short walk up the ramp to the terminal. It turns out that Anchorage engine rebuilder Werner Reimers parks his 206 next to me. We had a long talk, he was real nice and I've always wanted to meet him because he built the engine in my plane (600 hrs ago?). I told him it runs great, doesn't leak and hasn't needed any jugs (knock on wood).


Buying gas is not the best part, but there's usually someone around, and this time I ran into the Texas Skyways guy that sells the 280Hp C-180 upgrades... He offered to give me one FREE if I write about my experiences... OK, not really. He DID offer to give me one for about 35 grand, lol.


Coming back I like to stop at Merrill and walk over to the Brewhouse to get my growler reloaded with my favorite (well, maybe 2nd favorite) beer, the IPA. It's 30 minutes each way, so I walk fast and figure the calories are a wash. :-)


This is a very nice private strip near Birchwood.


Home Sweet Home.


On the way home, I met the family at the library (no pavement near our house) so Hanna could demonstrate her new bike riding skills. She learned in two pushes and then another couple times holding her up to learn to get started by herself. No exaggeration - she's a natural. Of course straight and level soon bored her, so she began to weave wildly until she crashed... lol.


1 comment:

  1. Dave, I am totally jealous. I used to make a quick trek into the brewhouse on my way through town. Now that they implemented the 3oz limit on liquids it is impossible for me to take a growler back home with me....their hef was killer too.

    ReplyDelete